Let’s Talk About Mental Health : Jean Vanier [fr]
On October 18, the UN opens its doors to fragility. With Jean Vanier, France and its partners commit to talk about mental health.
Only a few weeks after the General Assembly High-Level Week, the Permanent Missions of France, Canada, Belgium, Bahrein, the World Health Organization, the City of New York, and the Francophonie gather to raise awareness on Mental Health issues and to change the narratives about people with disabilities, with the movie Jean Vanier : The Sacrament of Tenderness
One in four people in the world will be affected by mental or neurological disorders at some point in their lives. Around 450 million people currently suffer from such conditions.
Our event will be an opportunity to be mobilized to address mental health issues through research, prevention, education and raising awareness. With a very diverse panel discussion bringing together the World Health Organization, the City of New York and Frederic Bedos, movie director, we will tackle issues ranging from citizen mobilization, public policies or research to advance the treatment of these mental illnesses.
It will be followed by the movie Jean Vanier : The Sacrament of Tenderness directed by the French journalist Frédérique Bedos, Founder of Le Projet Imagine. The movie depicts the stories of Jean Vanier, Canadian humanist who created in 1964 an international federation dedicated to help people with mental disabilities: The Arche.
Jean Vanier brings a message of hope and shows how helping people who suffer the most from mental disability and discrimination allows us to help ourselves.
6p.m.: beginning of the event
6:30 - 7:10p.m.
- Remarks by François Delattre, Ambassador of France to the United Nations
- Remarks by Richard Arbeiter, Deputy Permanent Representative of Canada to the UN as President of the Group of Friends of Mental Health at the UN
- Message by Jean Vanier, Canadian humanist and Founder of The Arche
- Panel discussion with Frédérique Bedos, Movie Director and Founder of Le Projet Imagine, Dr. Nata Menabde, Executive Director, World Health Organization Office at the United Nations, and the City of New York
- Panel discussion moderated by Dr. Judy Kuriansky
- Screening of the movie Jean Vanier : The Sacrament of Tenderness
Registration is free but compulsory.
More information :
Mylaèle Negga : firstname.lastname@example.org